Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 1 Incision Pictures

These are three of the four holes used for the instruments. The fourth is on my left side about the bottom of the rib cage. You can kind of see in the middle one some of the writing that the surgeon wrote during pre-op to mark the kidney they were taking. There is also a weird indent on the middle incision. I'm not sure if that came across in the picture too well. Along the bottom is an old scar from a boating accident about 10 years ago.

 You can see the bottom incisions here where they pulled the kidney out of and the top incision is still covered by the hospital gown. You can also tell all of the swelling/bloating here too as you can't even really see my hip bone.


2 comments:

  1. wow my scars look just like that.. I had right kidney failure and i had it removed at age 7. at 15 the scar tissue from the kidney removal surgery had wraped around my colon and made a colon blockage that was surgically removed along with my appendix. I'm 18 now and i still can't put on a bikini and feel good about my body. thank you for telling your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't even know that could happen! Glad it was caught and could be fixed.
    I mentioned it briefly above but I got in a boating accident just before I turned 16 so I have a pretty large gash on my front left pelvis, along with two long slashes in my left thigh which is also slightly misshapen from it. My nickname was shark bite in high school :) Now after the surgery my left side is messed up even more. It's a struggle sometimes not to let it bother me.
    I actually decided about a month ago that I want to have pictures of myself taken while in a bikini. I think it will help with my self esteem. I bought the package already but it will probably take me a few months to get up the courage :)

    ReplyDelete